A Cop Plans For TEOTWAWKI

This article was generously donated by Elijah Williams and covers plans for TEOTWAWKI from a perspective that we don’t often hear from in the prepping community. We do talk about the absence of law and order but that is typically from the thoughts of a disaster being too large for the current law enforcement community to handle; but the sometimes overlooked aspect of this line of thinking is that police have families also. In a crisis scenario, police will very likely leave their posts to protect their own loved ones like we are planning to do. This article discusses those thoughts and plans.

Everyone should have a plan for everything. Maybe that’s a little extreme, but think about it. You already do this to a certain extent with many little things. What will you do if you hear someone breaking into your house? When the electricity goes out? What if your car breaks down on your way home from work? You’ve probably at least given these things some thought, as you should. Hopefully you’ve gone beyond this, and have a plan for a worst-case scenario situation. This article is about that subject from the position of a law enforcement officer.

I like to call it a “reset button event”. Something that essentially decimates the familiar, day-to-day workings of our society. I may be preaching to the choir, but here’s my angle.

It’s a matter of fact that the various local police departments and sheriff’s offices across the nation maintain a degree of peace and order in the community they work in. Federal agencies have little or nothing to do with this in most places.

However, the condition of our society today hangs on the balance of many things. It hangs on groceries sitting on the store shelves whenever people want to go get them. It hangs on gasoline coming out of the pump when you want to fill the tank in your car. It hangs on the lights in your house working when you flip the switch, and a cell phone working when you dial a number. The list goes on.

My point is, if society sufficiently deteriorates as we have seen before in the event of natural disasters and civil unrest, this balance of peace will be broken. There will not be personnel or resources to handle the fallout. This has also been demonstrated in the situations we’ve seen as mentioned: additional people and supplies have been brought in from other areas to handle the problem. If a calamity occurs across large portions of the nation or all of it, there will be no backup from neighboring cities or states because they will have plenty of their own problems.

In light of this, I need a plan. Other law enforcement personnel need a plan too. And, it would be beneficial to the people they serve to understand a little more about the position of officers and deputies in their community.

My Priorities Are The Same As Yours.

The priorities of law enforcement officers on the job can be summed up in a few sentences. We are concerned with protecting human life, and property. Keeping the peace is an extension of these two. The way we do this is by enforcing laws.

But you must understand, doing my job is not my first priority. Yes, that is correct. My first priority is my family. Providing and protecting them is my main purpose in life. Just like anyone else, I currently do the former by working my job and bringing in a paycheck, and the latter through normal means. But that is under societal conditions as we know them now.

If we experienced a reset button event, my expectation would not be to stay on the job and fight a losing battle while leaving my family to fend for themselves. Make no mistake, this is something I have put a lot of thought into. I take my job seriously, and what it means to the community I work in. But I believe that a man who does not care for the needs of his family is worse than an unbeliever, as the Bible states.

So you must understand, if it comes down to taking care of your family or mine, I will choose mine. From my perspective it almost seems cruel or cold to make a statement like that. I hope it doesn’t come to that. I hope if it came close, I would be able to take care of my family, and also help others. But at the end of the day, I have a God ordained responsibility I must fulfill.

How Does This Affect You?

That being said, how would this affect you? Hopefully it won’t. I hope you have taken steps to prepare yourself to provide for and protect your own family.

But if you haven’t, perhaps this will help you make that decision. Or more likely, if you know someone who hasn’t prepared, it may help them do the right thing.

My Wish List

In light of all this, there are some things I as a law enforcement officer would hope people in neighborhoods and communities are doing to be prepared.

Neighborhood Network

If you live anywhere near people, you should at least know who they are and what their preparedness level is. Preferably, you will have talked to your neighbors and put together at least a minimum plan on how you will work together in the event of a disaster or serious event. If they are like-minded, all the better.

How like-minded they are will probably dictate the depth of your mutual plan. Are they in to stocking up on food, water, and ammunition supply? Or will they only consider buying some extra flashlight batteries or a seventy-two hour kit? It’s important for you to know this for two reasons. One, if you need some kind of supply or assistance, could you ask that person for help? Second, what will they be asking of you? If their preparedness stops at some extra cans of soup in the cupboard, they may be asking for a lot of things. Are you ready to take on that extra responsibility? If not, how will you address that?

Additionally, how close your neighbors are will play a role in how you plan. If you live in a rural area and your closest neighbor is half a mile away, you’re not going to set up a block patrol where two or more people can keep eyes on more than one house. Instead, you’ll probably want a way to communicate back and forth in case one of you needs assistance. If the situation warrants one of you relocating to the other house, you will need to have that plan in place beforehand for supplies, defense plans, and so forth.

Defense Network

Depending on the population density, the neighborhood network would be a localized group, with a fairly small geographical application. In other words, a neighborhood network has its limitations.

When it comes to serious threats to you, your family, and neighbors, there needs to be a more robust option. I’m talking about bands of looters, escaped inmates from local jails or prisons, gang activity, and other similar threats. Something like a serious weather activity could also fall into this category, which may require multiple people who are physically fit and have tools for things like clearing fallen trees and debris or snow.

This group obviously isn’t going to include seventy year old Mrs. Jones next door. I hope Mrs. Jones is prepared to fend off an attack if someone tries to invade her home, but she’s not going to be on an armed two-man perimeter team on the lookout for roving bands of looters. Therefore, the organizers of such a group will want to come up with a certain standard of physical fitness, and other things like moral integrity and level-headed thinking, for sure.

Talk To The “Local Authorities”

What are your local police, fire, and disaster management personnel’s plans for a catastrophic event? Do they have one? It’s possible there hasn’t been a major incident in recent memory, and if there is a plan it’s written on yellowed paper somewhere in a file cabinet. Conversely, other communities are still trying to clean up from the last disaster, and know all to well how effective or ineffective their disaster plan actually was.

Ask specific questions about issues unique to your area. What’s the plan if the dam breaks? Where is the high water level going to be? What major supply routes into the city or area does this effect? If you don’t get a satisfactory answer from the people who should know, you may have to do some research on your own. The more information you have the better. How much or how little local agencies prepare can dictate some of your own strategies.

Educate Yourself And Others

You don’t have to spend a lot of money to receive training and education in important skills. There are many quality training programs and schools available for everything from rifle and handgun use, to first aid and combat medicine, to how to preserve your own food. Most of these cost money, and if knowledge is power, it’s money well spent. But there are many alternatives if you aren’t able to afford training at the moment. While there isn’t anything quite like a skilled and focused instructor, training you in a specific skill, information in this day and age is available everywhere. Many books, articles, blogs, and videos provide valuable information. My only caution is that you vet any source you find for accuracy, particularly if it’s on a subject you’re new to.

Last, And Not Least

I spend much of my work week observing the effects of human depravity. Whatever your perception of God or religion is, I believe anyone can agree our world today has many problems, and those problems originate with human kind.

I believe the state of our world today is a direct correlation to the sinfulness of man. I believe the remedy to this is a restoration of the relationship between each man, woman and child, and their Creator. I believe this can only be accomplished through the acceptance of the blood sacrifice for sin provided by God’s Son Jesus Christ, and relationship with him.

What does this have to do with the subject of this article? Well, everything, really. Faith in God Almighty during terrible times is what will provide the basis and backbone for individuals and society as a whole to reach the other side and rebuild in the aftermath, whatever the challenge. The lack of this faith is what has led us to where we are today.

Therefore, I encourage you to look into these things if you are not already a born again believer.

Stay Safe,

Elijah Williams

About the Author: Elijah Williams lives on 20 acres in the northwest with his family. They grow, raise, and hunt much of their food. When he’s not on the job as a law enforcement officer, Elijah practices and pursues knowledge of firearms, defense tactics, primitive technology, wilderness skills, food independence, forging, knife building, and metal working methods. His passion is to help others be prepared for every eventuality they can.

1. usmarinestanker

December 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Excellent article Elijah, and many thanks for your service to the community.

I, as a 911 dispatcher, also plan on abandoning my post at that job if the “reset event” is too large for my family to safely handle without my presence. You can bet that’s going to happen nation- or region-wide if SHTF, particularly in the inner cities as life becomes a free-for-all. Part of my prepping rationale is to mitigate that risk so that I can remain at my job, but that isn’t a guarantee.

I think it goes without saying that we need to train and educate our family on appropriate points to help them to be as self-sufficient as possible in our absence. This becomes difficult though with a reluctant spouse or very young children.

2. pantsupdontloot

December 23, 2014 at 9:46 pm

You are correct on faith, sir, but here is the rub. Modern day Christians are convinced that faith in Christ only covers the good stuff such as salvation, payday, winning the football game and so on. The problem is that people’s faith is so weak and misguided that they cannot grasp the fact that they must have unwavering faith that God will do the worst to this country once we abandoned Him. Needless to say we have kicked him out of the schoolhouse, the Whitehouse, and most all things in between. God is getting ready to kick our teeth in as punishment for our sins and all the faith, prayer, and Church services in the world will not change that. Only repentance will, and both of us know that is not going to happen. The abortion mills will keep running, the prison doors will keep revolving, the drugs will continue to be sold, along with a thousand other abominations, and when the lights go out, then maybe out there in the dark with an empty stomach, and shivering body while we watch our children die…maybe, just maybe, repentance will come. I hope so…because make no mistake about it the lights are going out. Christ Himself said, “Work now, for when it is dark, no man can work’. I often wonder if there wasn’t a hidden message in there that was specifically targeted for this generation of Americans. May the Lord keep you and your family. You are correct for going home and taking care of your loved ones. It’s a sad thing to say sir, but once teotwawki arrives you won’t survive any longer than the rest of us. So continue prepping, then go home and survive. In the meantime thanks for keeping us safe. God bless and see you at His feet.

• ELijah Williams

December 26, 2014 at 2:17 am

Pantsup,

Yes, I don’t know how long I will survive, or anyone else for that matter. That is up to the Lord. I’ll do my part, and that’s as much as anyone can do.
      I also don’t know what “the end” will look like. I believe our nation is experiencing judgment even now, if only the natural consequences of the sins so prevalent in our society.
      Will God simply turn this nation over to it’s sin and allow the decay and rot to run its course, for the church to awaken after this, or will there be violent and catastrophic upheaval akin to corporate punishment of nations as seen in the Bible?
      I don’t know, but either way, believers must stand firm. There’s a lot yet to come.

3. NRP

December 24, 2014 at 11:27 am

Mr. Williams

Thank you for the prospective from a Peace Officers viewpoint.

First of all I would like to offer my personal thanks for you’re doing a job I would never in a thousand years consider. I believe that your profession is one of honor and you deserve the upmost respect. Additionally thank you for the honest viewpoint in this article, I believe you represent the majority of Peace Officers in stating your first and foremost responsibility is to your family, as it should be. Won’t that be a surprise to many many people when the 911 call center has a busy signal when they call? And the Sheriff Patrol just waves as he’s rushing home to help protect his own?

Like yourself I believe the “majority” of this nation and most of the world are in the belief that “someone” will take care of them in a crisis. FYI I describe a “crisis” as anywhere from a flat tire (there they simply call AAA) or a broken waterline. Look what happens in natural disasters such as Katrina or the likes? Holy cow, people are told to follow like sheep into a HUGE stadium and it takes FEMA 4 days to get them water. And what’s really depressing these same people had a week’s notice to prepare for what was coming.

Mayhem is coming, please don’t take my word for it, do a little research, decide for yourself. BUT when it does hit, you better be prepared for the SHTF, EOFWAWKI or even that flat tire. I totally agree with you Mr. Williams, we had better educate ourselves, plan and practice, stockpile food/water for at least one year, fortify our shelter, and get mentally prepared for the future.

Only thing I would slightly disagree and caution people against is the “Talking to the Local Authorities”. Now I know they have a huge amount of knowledge, and can be, “can be” a good resource, but like yourself Mr. Williams, they also have families and relatives that will be looking for that one special place to migrate to when the SHTF. Just be very careful they don’t recognize/remember your place when their children and families are without for a long time. Just remember a man will do anything and I do mean anything to feed his starving children, I am not saying I will not help others if and when I can, but I surely don’t want the “Authorities” breaking down my door and literally “taking” anything and everything they want to “redistribute” as they see fit, or even worse just taking for themselves. So talk to them discretely and without devolving information of your intentions. As with a “Defense Network” please make dang sure the others in your “Network” are also providers, not people that are simply the type that say “I’ll just come to your house when the SHTF”.

Thank you again Mr. Williams

NRP

• ELijah Williams

December 26, 2014 at 2:01 am

Thanks NRP!
      Yes, holding your cards close can be advantageous. I would agree too, you need to be aware of people and their motives. While we should plan to help others, those who have a preparedness plan that involves simply “coming to your house” will find the consequences of their cavalier approach to planning ahead if things get bad.

Elijah

4. ELijah Williams

December 26, 2014 at 2:05 am

usmarinestanker,

It would take a situation where my family was not safe, and most likely an event as described before I made the decision to choose family or job. Anything less I would plan to be there for the community, like yourself.

Elijah

5. Steve Cullen

December 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I am a retired police officer and share the same view with the author.
    Police Officers are trained to evaluate, prepare and respond to major events.

I worked Hurricane Andrew when it hit S. Florida and was on duty before it arrived, while it hit and afterwards.

We were w/o power in our city for 14 days. Homestead Fl. basically took the direct hit from Andrew and it was if a nuclear bomb went off.

It took the Federal government several days to become functional and respond. During this time it was more or less everyone for themselves.

Having gone through that experience caused me to evaluate the present world affairs some 6-8 months ago.

Prior to that time I had not done any preparing. But I could see (being a certified news junkie that I am, dark clouds forming on the horizon).

So in the 6-8 months previous, I’ve become a very good customer of my local gun shop. Plus I have done a ton or research and planning on other needs.

My wife also is fully on board and now we’re about 80% to where “our game plan” needs to be.

We’ll be adding the gasoline storage and generator hopefully beginning next week and plan on storing up to 600-800 gals of gas on our property, 8-12 months of food, a bunch of weapons and ammo as well.

However, most whom I’m had some discussions with are pretty much clueless, or simply don’t see things as being dire or don’t care.

If events got really bad, those are the people who are going to be most dangerous.

When there aren’t any means of getting food or other basics needs/supplies etc…they’ll come begging.

Unfortunately because they elected not to prepare, they will have to be turned down or away and basically they’ll be SOL.

This is when they will become dangerous and trust me, a simple “No” won’t work.

Much more drastic action will be required or one will be at risk of losing all their supplies to those who will do whatever they have to get your “stuff/supplies/stash”…so be prepared to defend yourself if necessary.

Some estimates put the death toll in the first year up in the area of 100 million people and through it all only 10% will survive…and if it becomes internationally it could be no one will survive.

Anyway, everyone will have to make a decision as to how prepared they wish to be…and for how long.

Eventually regardless of how prepared one is supplies etc could run out.

Anyway very good article and hopefully there are some who read it and pay attention to it…

Bust

S, Cullen

• Elijah Williams

December 26, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Steve,

Good points. I agree, supplies will run out. You can only store so much. That’s where skills are a must so you can grow, find, make or produce what is not otherwise available.

Elijah